Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Backpacking

So a few friends and I did an overnight backpacking trip this weekend. It was really fun and we'll definitely do it again. Matt and I wanted to try it so we brought a few friends along who we also thought would be game. The hiking path in wasn't bad at all - it was, however, one the worst possible days we could have chosen to hike in, since it was in the upper 80s and super humid!! Needless to say it rained that night - as it usually does when one goes camping but it felt good..at least outside my tent. Inside was another story as most of the venting on my one-man is up top - where the rain fly had to be. I was sweating so badly because of the rain, humidity and lack of circulation. I've learned the lesson of bad tent venting and will be purchasing a better one-man for future backpacking trips, let me assure you! We left a little before 8 the next morning to hike out and made it back to the cars in record time. I drove home and threw my stuff in the laundry and promptly took a shower. I was telling my mom I felt like I needed to take a shower for every layer on me, sweat, bug repellent, sweat, wet wipes (supposedly to clean you) and sweat. I felt a world better afterwords, aired everything out on my teeny porch - I set up my tent at an angle and it looked funny but it worked! So we'll go again sometime, me definitely with a better tent. I must also say the ThermaRest I bought was a great investment!! So that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :-)

No comments: